For those who have completed their doctoral studies in fields relevant to the work of the Iowa Reading Research Center (special education, literacy, communication sciences and disorders, cognitive psychology) a postdoctoral position can provide important opportunities to gain research experience. Depending on their skills and preparation, our postdoctoral scholars support funded research projects that might include:
- Developing and testing literacy interventions
- Measuring students’ and teachers’ improvement
- Developing assessments of literacy skills and knowledge
- Analyzing extant datasets
- Evaluating schools’ implementation of literacy programs
In addition, postdoctoral scholars are expected to publish in peer-reviewed journals and contribute to writing grant proposals.