Monday, July 26, 2021

Anna Gibbs, a graduate student assistant with the Iowa Reading Research Center, has been selected to participate in the Council for Learning Disabilities (CLD) 2021–2022 Leadership Academy.

Gibbs, who is entering her fourth year in the special education doctoral program at the University of Iowa College of Education, will gain experience and insight intended to help her become a future leader in the field of learning disabilities. She will complete a year-long project with fellow academy members. She will also now receive mentoring from two leaders in the field of learning disabilities: a new mentor through the academy in addition to her mentor at the Iowa Reading Research Center, Director Dr. Deborah K. Reed.

“My Leadership Academy mentor will offer me guidance and inspiration to pursue my career goals and continue my research agenda,” Gibbs said. “I look forward to learning from another leader in our field.”

CLD says it selects for the academy a small number of emerging leaders in a highly competitive selection process. Academy members demonstrate “potential and a passion for leadership in service of students with learning disabilities.”

“Anna’s initiative, dedication, and drive to be a leader in the effort to provide the best evidence-based literacy instruction for students with or at-risk for reading difficulties makes her well-deserving of this honor,” Reed said.

Gibbs’ research interests include addressing the challenges teachers face when designing oral language instruction for young students with or at risk for reading difficulties. After earning her Ph.D. in special education, she plans to become a professor and a leader in her field.

“This experience will help me establish collaborative relationships with other researchers in the field and become more involved in the Council for Learning Disabilities organization,” Gibbs said, “and I can’t wait to get started.”